Built-Up Roofing is a type of asphalt roofing systems for flat and low slope roofs, and typically used for commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. The BUR system has been in use for a century, offering a proven product. With proper maintenance BUR roofing may last 40 years, and longer. Longhorn Construction can provide you with a free roof estimate, the information you need to make an informed choice, and a professional quality installation for commercial roofing in Dallas.
BUR roofs are composed of alternating layers of bitumen and reinforced fabrics creating a finished membrane. The fabrics are reinforced with either fiberglass or polyester.
Surfacing for BUR roofs includes aggregate, glass fiber or mineral surface cap sheets, and others. Roof coatings can be applied to surfacing material to reduce the effects of UV radiation, and provides the additional benefit of reducing air conditioning and heating costs.
Factors your roofing contractor will consider when considering BUR systems:
1. Roof slope
2. Roof drainage
4. Structural load capacity
5. Roof deck deficiencies
6. U. L. fire classification requirements
7. Comparison of repair and replacement
8. Assessment for potential of tear vs. roof over
Benefits of a BUR Roof System:
• Waterproof and leak resistant
• Resistant to high winds, uplift and hail
• Excellent waterproofing protection
• Ultra-violet (UV) protection
• Low maintenance requirements
• Easy to repair
• Withstand heavy roof traffic
• Resists weathering and the elements
• Can provide high thermal value
• Year round energy efficiency
• Fire resistant rating when surfaced with an approved material
• Provides an economic value for long lasting for commercial roofing in Dallas.
Proper surface preparation is essential for the lifespan and performance of built-up roofing. All repairs should be provided before installation, and the surface completely free of any paint, rust, oil, dirt, grease, or gravel. After installation, the application of a reflective roof coating will protect the commercial roofing in Dallas against UV rays, and will reduce heat gain and utility costs.
Gravel Ballasted BUR Systems
Gravel ballasted roof systems are a type of BUR with gravel laid onto the roof to form a protective and insulating layer on the underlying rooftop. Gravel Ballasted Roofing Systems are popular for the following benefits:
• Wind resistance
• Improved fire resistance
• Installation can be provided fast, and in a wide variety of temperature and weather conditions
• No adhesives are required providing a recyclable membrane at the end of its life cycle
• No mechanical fixing to concrete deck
• Accomodates structural building movement
Longhorn Construction offers a superior level of quality and service to its customers, and has been recognized throughout the state of Texas as a leading commercial roofer for more than 40 years. We offer comprehensive commercial roofing in Dallas with an unequalled expertise in the roofing industry. Serving the entire state of Texas’ commercial roofing needs, Longhorn Construction offers a broad array of roofing services including the Built-up roofing system, and other fine roofing systems. Contact us today for a free roofing estimate, and/or additional information.